Thursday, October 16, 2008

too much coffee ... and a whole lot in my head...

I love my Mom. She is a wonderful person. We are very different people, and this makes it difficult at times to be close. (we are only 18 yrs apart)

I crave a closer relationship, but it is what it is. And I am sure my relationship with her is better then many mother/daughter relationships... but I would like more. I have been honest with her and told her what I would like. But the whole way we take life always seems to disconnect the connection. I am a doer and she is a viewer. (both are right ... just different)
____________________

Big Daddy is on his way home, after being gone since Monday morning. I am so excited. I always have to have my guard up and keep moving while he is gone ... but when he comes home he shelters me from things and really I like that at this point in my life. Man I use to be such a strong person ... but I sure see how nice it is to have someone fending for you in life. I am so blessed to have such a great husband. (a little action is in order) LOL!
______________________

I will be done with my little daycare guy at the end of this month. Due to everything going on in our life at the moment. A great friend of mine is taking him ... she will be able to do all the fun things that he deserves to do. So as of November I will start volunteering more in the children's school and take a bit more time for myself. This way I can know if there are stressers in school happening and also so I have more to give my own children at the end of the day.
______________________

Had a little "discussion" today with LA lady at my children's school. First I must say my son is having a GREAT year (amazing teachers). The teachers are very happy and the only thing he needs to work on is organization. Really that is so funny to me .... CAUSE HE IS NINE. LOL. However we shall train our 9 year old BOY how to be more organized and celebrate that his anxieties are becoming less and less.

Now back to what I was going to say ... lol... man my brain is everywhere today.... too much coffee ... Well I was reading the report from the meeting (I had one this week) and it has miss quoted me twice in it. One time even making it look like I think there is more wrong with my child. HELLO ... HOLD THE BUS PEOPLE ... I sure as heck never said that... and I don't think that. So where the heck did that come from. So I asked kindly if they (the school) feels there is more wrong... cause my ped, family doctor and MENTAL HEALTH feel he has mild anxiety and with help he should do just fine. (have to have should in there cause anxiety is not something that will go away, you are just given better coping skills .... but we must also note that anxiety is not who my child is... it is just one little part of his personality) Well the LA lady asked me if maybe I did not make myself clear ... lol. So now for the record I made myself perfectly clear! My child is going through an anxious season in his life... end of story. Life goes on.

Why is it that when I am all wishy washy I don't feel bad, but when I speak the truth and don't get pushed into things I feel bad for saying anything. I was not rude ... I did not raise my voice ...

Is it that I have an issue with speak up to teachers ... lol. How many of us are still afraid to go to the Principals office .... lol. We are all just people ...

Anywho she was very kind and called me back. Turns out they will be removing those lines from the report. She felt my child was doing very well and the over all tone for the meeting was very positive.

Yes I agree it was a positive meeting and this is why I was so surprised by the two lines in the report. But now I have made myself clear on where I stand on these issues ... perhaps I just was not clear enough cause I was afraid to hurt anyone's feelings .... but what about my child ... I can't keep going through my kids school life afraid I will upset a teacher or whoever ....

I do realize that anxiety as a label gets NO FUNDING... and that is wrong.
_____________

Well off to pick up my babies. Thanks for the vent. Did I mention my hubby is coming home!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was going to leave you an extremely long comment, but changed my mind after i typed it, basically, don't take any crap from the teachers/principal. for most students, if their parents aren't standing up for them, no one else is.
i prefer to take the direct approach, go right to the school and if you're told the principal is not available, sit yourself down and tell them you'll wait.

for a different kind of girl said...

I'm coming here entirely too late to really absorb everything. My eyes are really starting to wobble, but wanted to chime in and say that I am forever afraid of going to the principal's office! I have to go to my son's IEP meeting next week, and I am kinda all riled up, but when I get there, I'm sure I'll be talked down.

Now I need to talk myself to bed. Glad you're husband's on his way home!

Deb said...

I am a 'retired' teacher and I strongly urge you to continue to speak up for your son - you and big daddy are his advocates, his protectors, his voice. You did the right thing by checking the report and then making sure that they corrected it. When teachers, parents and students work together as a team the results can be powerful. Have a super fun, super relaxing weekend with the family!